CROSS HITS THE BOOS AGAIN
Former world champ ready for Gurney jeers
ROB CROSS admits he is sick of being the villain but is getting used to hitting the boos!
The 2018 world champion faces Daryl Gurney in his Belfast backyard tonight (Thurs) in the Unibet Premier League.
Joint top Voltage defied the din of the Dutch jeers a week ago to beat Jeffrey de Zwaan on his home soil and now knows he faces being the bad boy again.
He said: “I felt like The Joker movie villain in Rotterdam and now I’ve got it again in Belfast against Daryl.
“Funny enough, I think the crowd actually got me to play more aggressively and won me the match by booing me.
“I’d been really flat the previous night against Mensur and I didn’t start well when I played Jeffrey. But then the crowd were giving me stick and I got angry and started to hit everything.
“So maybe being the bad boy suits me, I don’t know. I just have to play my own game. Not Daryl or the fans. If I do that I can hopefully silence them.
“It’s all good fun. I don’t blame the fans for booing. They pay their money to watch us and we are grateful for their support, good or bad.
“Equally it’s my job to keep them quiet by winning the match. That’s part and parcel of the game these days and I love it.
“I've got to keep doing what I've been doing but I'm playing well. I've shown some character recently and I've needed to do that.”
Gurney said: “I absolutely cannot wait for Thursday night. I was already over the moon to be returning to Belfast and to win my first European Tour event just a few days before it is the perfect start.
“Last year in Belfast was one of the most magical experiences of my life, so to get the chance to do it again is a dream come true. I know the place will be absolutely buzzing again.
“I'm not as consistently good as Rob, Michael van Gerwen or James Wade but I'm looking to get into the top four.”
2019 Unibet Premier League
Night Ten - Thursday April 4
The SSE Arena, Belfast
Mensur Suljovic v James Wade
Michael Smith v Peter Wright
Rob Cross v Daryl Gurney
Michael van Gerwen v Gerwyn Price
Words: Phil Lanning
Images: Taylor Lanning
- 12.10.2019MVG sends out chilling warning
- 08.10.2019Ando admits it's a "horrible game"
- 30.09.2019Gurney: I want to hit Top Gear!
- 28.07.2019CROSS: I WON IT FOR MY BOY!
- 26.07.2019Wright glory all down to lucky flight
- 23.07.2019MVG blasts rivals "didn't have big mouths"
- 21.07.2019BUNTING: I closed my eyes before big win!
- 09.06.2019SCOTS WIN WORLD CUP
- 06.06.2019CROSS OUT TO "STUFF" CRITICS
- 23.05.2019CROSS VOWS TO FIND "MAGIC"
- 23.05.2019MVG: I WILL SMASH THEM!
- 16.05.2019CROSS AIMS TO BE CUT ABOVE
- 10.05.2019Price: They are trying to get me banned
- 02.05.2019MVG vows Gurney "won't beat me"
- 25.04.2019Wade not "frightened" by the big boys
- 18.04.2019Van Gerwen's bizarre socks superstition!
- 11.04.2019SMITH GETS NEEDLE BEFORE MVG
- 03.04.2019CROSS HITS THE BOOS AGAIN
- 29.03.2019LEGEND BARNEY IN QUIT U-TURN
- 22.03.2019WRIGHT BLAST OF THE MOHICAN
- 25.02.2019CROSS WANTS TO DRIVE WITH ALI