Anderson says he's "off radar"
Flying Scotsman back on track for semi-final
GARY ANDERSON warmed-up for the Betfred World Matchplay semi-final by blaming himself for being “off radar” and vital concentration lapses.
The Flying Scotsman takes on protege Michael Smith in a mouthwatering master versus apprentice clash tomorrow night (Saturday) at the Marshall Arena in Milton Keynes.
Ando has so far defied his board rustiness with three workmanlike wins - including over Simon Whitlock in the quarters - but seems to have his fiesty attitude back.
On his concentration issues, he vowed: “I’m trying to learn how to do it. In the end there I just ended up falling out with myself. Look here’s a treble, hit it. It worked a bit better towards the end.
“It’s just the present, it used to work for players years and years ago, they days are long gone. These lads coming through now don’t actually care.
“Van Gerwen’s gone, Rob’s gone, Peter’s gone, they don’t care who they are playing nowadays.”
Anderson pulled away in the closing stages against a stubborn Whitlock and admits he needs to step up to another level.
He continued: “It was hard work again but once I got the concentration I was alright. There’s some good bits but I also go off the rails. That’s what’s driving me nuts.
“But I’ve been off the radar for a while so it’s maybe my own fault.
“Smithy’s a bit quicker game, Simon was a bit quick ands I couldn’t keep up with him. It’s got to the stage I’m huffing and puffing behind these fast players.
“If I can get my concentration right and my darts going right, we’ll see what happens.”
In an interesting quirk of fate, the Scot also won the last major behind closed doors at the UK Open two years ago.
It would be an odd double for him to land another fan-less title. He said: “It would be but I was a better player a few years ago though. It would be nice but it’s no Blackpool is it. It’s weird, it’s definitely weird.
“It’s still going to be classed as the Matchplay but it’ll be a bit different.
“A lot of players have struggled with it, it’s weird. Until you’ve actually played the game and been on big stages in front of big crowds, you’ll not know. They’ll just say they are moaning. But unless you’ve done it, zip it and try it.
“It’s quite easy mouthing off, excuses this, excuses that. They don’t know, they’ve never done it. How do you actually know?”
Bully Boy has dumped his hero Ando on the last four occasions they’ve met, including the Premier League semi-final a couple of years ago.
Anderson cheekily says that all good runs must finish at some time, adding: “I think he’s beat us the last 12 times we’ve played to be honest but the only thing about that is that it’s got to come to an end.
“This gamesmanship that never happens. I know Michael, he knows I’m up there to play darts and he’ll do the same.
“There’ll be no gamesmanship up there, hopefully a proper game of darts.
“Trust me I need to practice. Before it used to be very easy, it’s not easy now.”
Words: Phil Lanning
Images: Taylor Lanning
- 18.07.2022Don’t let your tyres ruin your summer
- 14.07.2022Wright stays off the crumpets!
- 19.05.2022Wright admits he felt like a "zombie"
- 21.04.2022Wright to stop "mucking about"
- 31.03.2022Clayton won't be plastered!
- 24.03.2022Van Gerwen is ready for home pressure
- 10.03.2022Wright's clean sweep
- 10.02.2022Red-hot Wright stays tight-lipped
- 03.02.2022Price: I'm my own worst enemy!
- 28.01.2022Clayton: I don't want to be a one-hit wonder
- 19.01.2022Wright gets a grip on another world crown
- 03.11.2020Wright ready for Worlds charge
- 26.08.2020Gurney plans The Great Escape
- 25.08.2020Van Gerwen vows: I'm hungry
- 22.08.2020Smith fired-up on Premier return
- 24.07.2020Anderson says he's "off radar"
- 22.07.2020Wizard casts spell over MVG
- 19.07.2020Van Gerwen: I must do better!
- 13.07.2020Wright "doesn't care" about MVG
- 08.07.2020Netflix and chill for The Iceman…
- 02.07.2020Gurney hungry after heartbreak
- 09.06.2020Porsche is No.1 for posh!
- 09.04.2020Taylor goes "James Bond" for Barney clash
- 14.02.2020IT'S ROB-IN HOOD!
- 01.01.2020Van Gerwen vows Wright "always misses"
- 30.12.2019Wrighty is full of beans
- 27.12.2019Fallon's winner chicken dinner
- 23.12.2019Fallon is 'Queen of the Palace'
- 14.12.2019Barney in emotional Ally Pally farewell
- 13.12.2019MVG says he'll "destroy" rivals
- 24.11.2019MVG loves new Pricey rivalry
- 12.11.2019Cross is up for Wright fight
- 09.11.2019MVG vows there's "more in the tank"
- 27.10.2019Cross: It's a sweet moment!
- 19.10.2019Anderson admits the "nerves" are back!
- 12.10.2019MVG sends out chilling warning
- 08.10.2019Ando admits it's a "horrible game"
- 30.09.2019Gurney: I want to hit Top Gear!
- 28.07.2019CROSS: I WON IT FOR MY BOY!
- 26.07.2019Wright glory all down to lucky flight
- 23.07.2019MVG blasts rivals "didn't have big mouths"
- 21.07.2019BUNTING: I closed my eyes before big win!
- 09.06.2019SCOTS WIN WORLD CUP
- 06.06.2019CROSS OUT TO "STUFF" CRITICS
- 23.05.2019CROSS VOWS TO FIND "MAGIC"
- 23.05.2019MVG: I WILL SMASH THEM!
- 16.05.2019CROSS AIMS TO BE CUT ABOVE
- 10.05.2019Price: They are trying to get me banned
- 02.05.2019MVG vows Gurney "won't beat me"
- 25.04.2019Wade not "frightened" by the big boys
- 18.04.2019Van Gerwen's bizarre socks superstition!
- 11.04.2019SMITH GETS NEEDLE BEFORE MVG
- 03.04.2019CROSS HITS THE BOOS AGAIN
- 29.03.2019LEGEND BARNEY IN QUIT U-TURN
- 22.03.2019WRIGHT BLAST OF THE MOHICAN
- 25.02.2019CROSS WANTS TO DRIVE WITH ALI