BUNTING: I closed my eyes before big win!
Bullet fires into Matchplay with sudden death glory
By Phil Lanning
FORMER World Champion Stephen Bunting admitted he closed his eyes before producing one of the great wins in a nail-biting clash with Gerwyn Price.
The Bullet fired his way back into the contest in some style after trailing to Welshman Price 4-1 after the first session in Blackpool last night.
Both missed darts to win the match but the St.Helens star held his nerve to take out a massive win to take it 13-12 - his first win at the Winter Gardens for five years.
Bunting said: “I feel crazy to be honest. When you go to sudden death it’s always going to be difficult. I knew I had to dig deep but I’m just so happy to get over the line. It means a lot to me, to my family, sponsors and management. I can’t believe it.
“It was just like a normal day in the office really. I was thinking ‘not again’. But my scoring has been brilliant and I’ve put a lot of work into my finishing over the past couple of months and it definitely worked tonight.
“You feel dejected when you see someone go for match darts. You feel like nothing is going to go your way, I’ll be honest I closed my eyes when he was going for his doubles to win the match. He probably did the same for me.
“Everytime I got a chance I felt like I was going to take it. But I felt Gerwyn would also punish me if I gave him chances so that made me a bit nervous. I’m just so happy to be in the next round. I’ve now got a few days off to prepare for Wednesday.
“Gerwyn is a fantastic player, I’ve know him for quite a while now and he gets a bit of stick. Over the past few years I’ve had Michael van Gerwen and Gary Anderson first round. So I actually had the crowd on my side tonight!
“The grit and determination I showed pulled the fans on my side and that definitely helped. It’s a good feeling. I’ll take that win all day long, any win will do. I don’t care if I win 10-0 or just get over the line, I’ll take it.
“I honestly believe I’m playing better than I’ve ever played. Obviously I’ll be back practising solid before Wednesday. I’ve got another four tough games ahead of me if I’m going to win this title.
“But for now, without doubt, this is one of the biggest wins for me in the PDC.”
Price was the second seed to drop out in the opening two games as on-form star Nathan Aspinall was surprisingly dumped 10-5 by Mervyn King. Rob Cross beat Chris Dobey 10-3 and Gary Anderson KO’d Danny Noppert 10-6.
Images: Lawrence Lustig/PDC
- 03.11.2020Wright ready for Worlds charge
- 26.08.2020Gurney plans The Great Escape
- 25.08.2020Van Gerwen vows: I'm hungry
- 22.08.2020Smith fired-up on Premier return
- 24.07.2020Anderson says he's "off radar"
- 22.07.2020Wizard casts spell over MVG
- 19.07.2020Van Gerwen: I must do better!
- 13.07.2020Wright "doesn't care" about MVG
- 08.07.2020Netflix and chill for The Iceman…
- 02.07.2020Gurney hungry after heartbreak
- 09.06.2020Porsche is No.1 for posh!
- 09.04.2020Taylor goes "James Bond" for Barney clash
- 14.02.2020IT'S ROB-IN HOOD!
- 01.01.2020Van Gerwen vows Wright "always misses"
- 30.12.2019Wrighty is full of beans
- 27.12.2019Fallon's winner chicken dinner
- 23.12.2019Fallon is 'Queen of the Palace'
- 14.12.2019Barney in emotional Ally Pally farewell
- 13.12.2019MVG says he'll "destroy" rivals
- 24.11.2019MVG loves new Pricey rivalry
- 12.11.2019Cross is up for Wright fight
- 09.11.2019MVG vows there's "more in the tank"
- 27.10.2019Cross: It's a sweet moment!
- 19.10.2019Anderson admits the "nerves" are back!
- 12.10.2019MVG sends out chilling warning
- 08.10.2019Ando admits it's a "horrible game"
- 30.09.2019Gurney: I want to hit Top Gear!
- 28.07.2019CROSS: I WON IT FOR MY BOY!
- 26.07.2019Wright glory all down to lucky flight
- 23.07.2019MVG blasts rivals "didn't have big mouths"
- 21.07.2019BUNTING: I closed my eyes before big win!
- 09.06.2019SCOTS WIN WORLD CUP
- 06.06.2019CROSS OUT TO "STUFF" CRITICS
- 23.05.2019CROSS VOWS TO FIND "MAGIC"
- 23.05.2019MVG: I WILL SMASH THEM!
- 16.05.2019CROSS AIMS TO BE CUT ABOVE
- 10.05.2019Price: They are trying to get me banned
- 02.05.2019MVG vows Gurney "won't beat me"
- 25.04.2019Wade not "frightened" by the big boys
- 18.04.2019Van Gerwen's bizarre socks superstition!
- 11.04.2019SMITH GETS NEEDLE BEFORE MVG
- 03.04.2019CROSS HITS THE BOOS AGAIN
- 29.03.2019LEGEND BARNEY IN QUIT U-TURN
- 22.03.2019WRIGHT BLAST OF THE MOHICAN
- 25.02.2019CROSS WANTS TO DRIVE WITH ALI