Wade not "frightened" by the big boys
Machine gets ready to face Mighty Mike
JAMES WADE admits he is not “frightened” at facing the top players before he takes on Mighty Michael van Gerwen.
The dynamic Dutchman turns 30 as the Unibet Premier League rolls into Birmingham tonight live on Sky Sports.
But Wade will be determined to spoil the party by making it back-to-back wins over the defending champion in this year's Unibet Premier League.
The World Champion enters his show-down with Wade on the back of a five-game unbeaten run and after securing his 30th European Tour title on Monday, but The Machine insists he is unfazed by the fixture.
Wade vowed: "I'd say out of all the players in the Premier League I think I'm the least bothered about playing Michael van Gerwen.
"I would like to say I was nervous and apprehensive, but no I'm not.
"He'll score better than he'll finish, he's good at what he does but I'm not bothered about playing him.”
Wade comfortably beat an out of sorts Peter Wright 8-2 in Cardiff last week to climb into third spot, four points adrift of MVG but clear of fifth only by virtue of legs difference.
He added: "Michael is amazing at what he does, he's a phenomenal dart player who I respect hugely but I know I can beat him.
"I've not been playing my best darts for five years, but now I'm starting to play well again which makes me feel both excited and nervous.
"I know I'm as good as anyone else, I know I can win TV titles including the Premier League but now it's up to me to go and do it.
"I'm not saying I can be a million miles better, but I've got a lot more to give.
"I'm not frightened by playing the so-called 'top players' - I put myself in that bracket when I'm playing well.
"There's a lot of players out there that are absolutely phenomenal and it's a job for someone like myself to try and keep up with those players.
"But I still think I'm good enough to beat them all.”
Night 13 - Thursday April 25
Mensur Suljovic v Michael Smith
Rob Cross v Gerwyn Price
Daryl Gurney v Peter Wright
James Wade v Michael van Gerwen
Words: Phil Lanning
Images: Taylor Lanning
- 14.02.2020IT'S ROB-IN HOOD!
- 01.01.2020Van Gerwen vows Wright "always misses"
- 30.12.2019Wrighty is full of beans
- 27.12.2019Fallon's winner chicken dinner
- 23.12.2019Fallon is 'Queen of the Palace'
- 14.12.2019Barney in emotional Ally Pally farewell
- 13.12.2019MVG says he'll "destroy" rivals
- 24.11.2019MVG loves new Pricey rivalry
- 12.11.2019Cross is up for Wright fight
- 09.11.2019MVG vows there's "more in the tank"
- 27.10.2019Cross: It's a sweet moment!
- 19.10.2019Anderson admits the "nerves" are back!
- 12.10.2019MVG sends out chilling warning
- 08.10.2019Ando admits it's a "horrible game"
- 30.09.2019Gurney: I want to hit Top Gear!
- 28.07.2019CROSS: I WON IT FOR MY BOY!
- 26.07.2019Wright glory all down to lucky flight
- 23.07.2019MVG blasts rivals "didn't have big mouths"
- 21.07.2019BUNTING: I closed my eyes before big win!
- 09.06.2019SCOTS WIN WORLD CUP
- 06.06.2019CROSS OUT TO "STUFF" CRITICS
- 23.05.2019CROSS VOWS TO FIND "MAGIC"
- 23.05.2019MVG: I WILL SMASH THEM!
- 16.05.2019CROSS AIMS TO BE CUT ABOVE
- 10.05.2019Price: They are trying to get me banned
- 02.05.2019MVG vows Gurney "won't beat me"
- 25.04.2019Wade not "frightened" by the big boys
- 18.04.2019Van Gerwen's bizarre socks superstition!
- 11.04.2019SMITH GETS NEEDLE BEFORE MVG
- 03.04.2019CROSS HITS THE BOOS AGAIN
- 29.03.2019LEGEND BARNEY IN QUIT U-TURN
- 22.03.2019WRIGHT BLAST OF THE MOHICAN
- 25.02.2019CROSS WANTS TO DRIVE WITH ALI