Wright's clean sweep
Snakey off crumpets to stay World No.1
PETER WRIGHT has vowed to lay off the crumpets to keep his World No.1 spot and win the Premier League.
The Livingston-born ace capped an incredible six months by winning the World Cup, World Championship and overtaking Gerwyn Price at the top of the rankings, the first Scot in history to achieve that status.
Wright, who turns 52 today, will be announced as World No.1 for the first time tonight (Thursday) at the Premier League clash in Brighton - but is struggling with gallstone pain.
He revealed: “I’ve just taken apple cider vinegar and started to eat a lot more healthier, try to cut out the butter. Especially on crumpets when it’s dripping through. Not good for you!
“It’s hard to balance diet when you are a dart player. By the time you have finished playing late at night you can’t get any decent food that’s good for you. It’s not always easy to just get a salad from a kebab shop.
“I’m not sure about the future. I tried this before when I had gallstones and changing diet worked. Fingers crossed that works because there isn’t any time on the calendar to have an op.
“It did affect my stamina at the weekend at the UK Open, it was horrible. I didn’t want to even play the first game.
“I got to the venue and I sat there for over an hour, you can ask the other players Gary Anderson and Joe Cullen. I was just crouched over in pain, I couldn’t even stand up.
“So it was like ‘do I pull out Jo?’ But she gave me a pain killer and within 20 minutes that sorted me out a bit. But it was still there in the background and wasn’t very nice at all.”
Wright, who takes on Jonny Clayton tonight, replaced Price at the top of the standings when the Welshman failed to reach the final of the UK Open.
But it’s a remarkable turnaround for Snakebite who was once labelled a Plastic Jock and a Clown.
He added: “I showed all those people, the doubters out there. All the belief that my wife Jo and my family have got to get me to No.1 in the world.
“It’s not just me, I just throw the darts. Jo does all the hard work, my father-in-law Paul and all the family. It’s all down to them to push me on to get to No.1.
“It’s been really hard and now I’ve got to keep hold of it. I travelled back from Minehead, it took ages, since I got back I’ve just been on the dartboard.”
- 18.07.2022Don’t let your tyres ruin your summer
- 14.07.2022Wright stays off the crumpets!
- 19.05.2022Wright admits he felt like a "zombie"
- 21.04.2022Wright to stop "mucking about"
- 31.03.2022Clayton won't be plastered!
- 24.03.2022Van Gerwen is ready for home pressure
- 10.03.2022Wright's clean sweep
- 10.02.2022Red-hot Wright stays tight-lipped
- 03.02.2022Price: I'm my own worst enemy!
- 28.01.2022Clayton: I don't want to be a one-hit wonder
- 19.01.2022Wright gets a grip on another world crown
- 03.11.2020Wright ready for Worlds charge
- 26.08.2020Gurney plans The Great Escape
- 25.08.2020Van Gerwen vows: I'm hungry
- 22.08.2020Smith fired-up on Premier return
- 24.07.2020Anderson says he's "off radar"
- 22.07.2020Wizard casts spell over MVG
- 19.07.2020Van Gerwen: I must do better!
- 13.07.2020Wright "doesn't care" about MVG
- 08.07.2020Netflix and chill for The Iceman…
- 02.07.2020Gurney hungry after heartbreak
- 09.06.2020Porsche is No.1 for posh!
- 09.04.2020Taylor goes "James Bond" for Barney clash
- 14.02.2020IT'S ROB-IN HOOD!
- 01.01.2020Van Gerwen vows Wright "always misses"
- 30.12.2019Wrighty is full of beans
- 27.12.2019Fallon's winner chicken dinner
- 23.12.2019Fallon is 'Queen of the Palace'
- 14.12.2019Barney in emotional Ally Pally farewell
- 13.12.2019MVG says he'll "destroy" rivals
- 24.11.2019MVG loves new Pricey rivalry
- 12.11.2019Cross is up for Wright fight
- 09.11.2019MVG vows there's "more in the tank"
- 27.10.2019Cross: It's a sweet moment!
- 19.10.2019Anderson admits the "nerves" are back!
- 12.10.2019MVG sends out chilling warning
- 08.10.2019Ando admits it's a "horrible game"
- 30.09.2019Gurney: I want to hit Top Gear!
- 28.07.2019CROSS: I WON IT FOR MY BOY!
- 26.07.2019Wright glory all down to lucky flight
- 23.07.2019MVG blasts rivals "didn't have big mouths"
- 21.07.2019BUNTING: I closed my eyes before big win!
- 09.06.2019SCOTS WIN WORLD CUP
- 06.06.2019CROSS OUT TO "STUFF" CRITICS
- 23.05.2019CROSS VOWS TO FIND "MAGIC"
- 23.05.2019MVG: I WILL SMASH THEM!
- 16.05.2019CROSS AIMS TO BE CUT ABOVE
- 10.05.2019Price: They are trying to get me banned
- 02.05.2019MVG vows Gurney "won't beat me"
- 25.04.2019Wade not "frightened" by the big boys
- 18.04.2019Van Gerwen's bizarre socks superstition!
- 11.04.2019SMITH GETS NEEDLE BEFORE MVG
- 03.04.2019CROSS HITS THE BOOS AGAIN
- 29.03.2019LEGEND BARNEY IN QUIT U-TURN
- 22.03.2019WRIGHT BLAST OF THE MOHICAN
- 25.02.2019CROSS WANTS TO DRIVE WITH ALI