Van Gerwen vows: I'm hungry
Dominant Dutchman ready for return
MIGHTY Michael van Gerwen has sent a chilling warning out to his rivals that he’s “hungry” to retain his Unibet Premier League title.
The World No.1 takes on Rob Cross in a repeat of last year’s final which saw the Dutchman complete his fourth successive triumph and fifth in total.
MVG returns to the oche at the Marshall Arena in Milton Keynes aiming to wipe away this disappointment of missing out on the Matchplay title last month.
He admitted: “I noticed during these breaks that I really miss playing on the highest level every week and that is a good sign to me that I am hungry.
"The Premier League is always a special tournament for me and now I need to make sure I'm on top where I belong by the end of the league phase.
"Of course it was disappointing to lose at the World Matchplay, but sometimes these things can happen in darts.
"It feels like a long time ago and since then I've been looking forward to getting back on stage and doing what I do best.”
Meanwhile Gary Anderson can take inspiration from similar character Ronnie O’Sullivan and go for Unibet Premier League glory.
The two-time World Champion resumes his league campaign in Milton Keynes tonight against protege Michael Smith.
He admitted he struggled to find his throw during his run to the Matchplay final last month just like O’Sullivan not having his cue action on the way to his sixth World Championship last weekend.
Ando said: “Yes I’m struggling to find my throw the now. It’s all about the throw. It is hard, people don’t realise how hard it is.
“Being on the road all the time, being away from home. It kind of gets to you.
“Ronnie is probably the best snooker player to have ever lived. It’s all about the class. I hope we never meet because I think we’ve got the same ideas!
Anderson faces Smith, Gerwyn Price and Michael van Gerwen on successive nights on his return to PL action at the Marshall Arena.
But that tough fixture list certainly doesn’t faze him. He added: “That’s alright, I take it as it comes. To win any tournaments nowadays with all these boys, you’ve got to beat every one of them.
“I don’t think Michael van Gerwen is going to get all his own way now. The boys are stepping up the ladder even more now. You’ve got to beat everyone who is put in front of you.
“It’s been quiet this year with everything going on. We’re getting back to Milton Keynes, we’ve had the Pro Tour five days locked in there which I thought worked really well.
“Now we’ve got six nights Premier League, it will be good. You’re playing every night constant so once you’ve got into it a few nights, the darts will start to go back to the way they were I think.”
2020 Unibet Premier League
Tuesday August 25 (6.30pm), Sky Sports
Marshall Arena, Milton Keynes
Michael Smith v Gary Anderson
Michael van Gerwen v Rob Cross
Nathan Aspinall v Gerwyn Price
Chris Dobey v Daryl Gurney
Peter Wright v Glen Durrant
Words: Phil Lanning
Pictures: Taylor Lanning
- 03.11.2020Wright ready for Worlds charge
- 26.08.2020Gurney plans The Great Escape
- 25.08.2020Van Gerwen vows: I'm hungry
- 22.08.2020Smith fired-up on Premier return
- 24.07.2020Anderson says he's "off radar"
- 22.07.2020Wizard casts spell over MVG
- 19.07.2020Van Gerwen: I must do better!
- 13.07.2020Wright "doesn't care" about MVG
- 08.07.2020Netflix and chill for The Iceman…
- 02.07.2020Gurney hungry after heartbreak
- 09.06.2020Porsche is No.1 for posh!
- 09.04.2020Taylor goes "James Bond" for Barney clash
- 14.02.2020IT'S ROB-IN HOOD!
- 01.01.2020Van Gerwen vows Wright "always misses"
- 30.12.2019Wrighty is full of beans
- 27.12.2019Fallon's winner chicken dinner
- 23.12.2019Fallon is 'Queen of the Palace'
- 14.12.2019Barney in emotional Ally Pally farewell
- 13.12.2019MVG says he'll "destroy" rivals
- 24.11.2019MVG loves new Pricey rivalry
- 12.11.2019Cross is up for Wright fight
- 09.11.2019MVG vows there's "more in the tank"
- 27.10.2019Cross: It's a sweet moment!
- 19.10.2019Anderson admits the "nerves" are back!
- 12.10.2019MVG sends out chilling warning
- 08.10.2019Ando admits it's a "horrible game"
- 30.09.2019Gurney: I want to hit Top Gear!
- 28.07.2019CROSS: I WON IT FOR MY BOY!
- 26.07.2019Wright glory all down to lucky flight
- 23.07.2019MVG blasts rivals "didn't have big mouths"
- 21.07.2019BUNTING: I closed my eyes before big win!
- 09.06.2019SCOTS WIN WORLD CUP
- 06.06.2019CROSS OUT TO "STUFF" CRITICS
- 23.05.2019CROSS VOWS TO FIND "MAGIC"
- 23.05.2019MVG: I WILL SMASH THEM!
- 16.05.2019CROSS AIMS TO BE CUT ABOVE
- 10.05.2019Price: They are trying to get me banned
- 02.05.2019MVG vows Gurney "won't beat me"
- 25.04.2019Wade not "frightened" by the big boys
- 18.04.2019Van Gerwen's bizarre socks superstition!
- 11.04.2019SMITH GETS NEEDLE BEFORE MVG
- 03.04.2019CROSS HITS THE BOOS AGAIN
- 29.03.2019LEGEND BARNEY IN QUIT U-TURN
- 22.03.2019WRIGHT BLAST OF THE MOHICAN
- 25.02.2019CROSS WANTS TO DRIVE WITH ALI