CROSS VOWS TO FIND "MAGIC"
Voltage plugged in for O2 glory
ROB CROSS has vowed to find the big stage “magic” that helped him win the World Championship.
The Hastings star takes on James Wade in tonight’s Unibet Premier League semi-final at the O2 in London.
Cross has produced a very solid league campaign so far, just missing out on top spot on the final day of the season with a defeat to Wade.
But Voltage will not let that affect his preparation to face the former champion. He said: “You can’t read anything into any game prior to the O2.
“Form goes out of the window, it’s all about who turns up on the night with their A game. All four of us know, that if we can do that, we can win the Premier League.
“That’s why I wasn’t overly disappointed to miss out on top of the league. That would have probably fired-up Michael van Gerwen even more to win on Thursday night.
“When it comes down to it, only one name goes on the trophy and that’s who wins at the O2, not who finishes top of the league.
“I’d rather win on Thursday than win the league. But now I’ve got to go and do that and produce two great performances. If I don’t I’ll lose, simple as that.
“There’s no hiding place in the Premier League. It’s cut-throat and brutal. You either play well or you get hammered.
“Every player is capable of winning it from the outset. But the hunger is even stronger having worked so hard for 16 weeks to get into the top four. Now you have to make it worthwhile.
“I need to find the magic dust formula that helped me beat Michael in the World Championship semi-final 18 months ago. It’s still all there inside me I know it is.”
Cross also admits he feels like a new man after carrying the burden of being World Champion and is much happier in himself than he was going to finals night a year ago.
He added: “The O2 was tough 12 months ago. I felt like the whole world was on my shoulders as the reigning World Champion.
“I didn’t perform at all and Michael beat me fair and square. He still is the man to beat, he is the yardstick for all the players.
“I’ve not played that well against him for a while now. But people can read into that what they want. I hadn’t beaten him before the World Championship semi-final either.
“It just comes down to the night. If the right Rob Cross turns up, it could be another great occasion for me.”
Words: Phil Lanning
Images: Taylor Lanning
- 14.02.2020IT'S ROB-IN HOOD!
- 01.01.2020Van Gerwen vows Wright "always misses"
- 30.12.2019Wrighty is full of beans
- 27.12.2019Fallon's winner chicken dinner
- 23.12.2019Fallon is 'Queen of the Palace'
- 14.12.2019Barney in emotional Ally Pally farewell
- 13.12.2019MVG says he'll "destroy" rivals
- 24.11.2019MVG loves new Pricey rivalry
- 12.11.2019Cross is up for Wright fight
- 09.11.2019MVG vows there's "more in the tank"
- 27.10.2019Cross: It's a sweet moment!
- 19.10.2019Anderson admits the "nerves" are back!
- 12.10.2019MVG sends out chilling warning
- 08.10.2019Ando admits it's a "horrible game"
- 30.09.2019Gurney: I want to hit Top Gear!
- 28.07.2019CROSS: I WON IT FOR MY BOY!
- 26.07.2019Wright glory all down to lucky flight
- 23.07.2019MVG blasts rivals "didn't have big mouths"
- 21.07.2019BUNTING: I closed my eyes before big win!
- 09.06.2019SCOTS WIN WORLD CUP
- 06.06.2019CROSS OUT TO "STUFF" CRITICS
- 23.05.2019CROSS VOWS TO FIND "MAGIC"
- 23.05.2019MVG: I WILL SMASH THEM!
- 16.05.2019CROSS AIMS TO BE CUT ABOVE
- 10.05.2019Price: They are trying to get me banned
- 02.05.2019MVG vows Gurney "won't beat me"
- 25.04.2019Wade not "frightened" by the big boys
- 18.04.2019Van Gerwen's bizarre socks superstition!
- 11.04.2019SMITH GETS NEEDLE BEFORE MVG
- 03.04.2019CROSS HITS THE BOOS AGAIN
- 29.03.2019LEGEND BARNEY IN QUIT U-TURN
- 22.03.2019WRIGHT BLAST OF THE MOHICAN
- 25.02.2019CROSS WANTS TO DRIVE WITH ALI