Taylor goes "James Bond" for Barney clash
Legends return for NHS online match
PHIL TAYLOR admits he’s had to become “James Bond” for legendary lockdown clash with Raymond van Barneveld to raise thousands for the NHS.
The 16-times World Champion takes on Barney in a Paddy Power/Target Darts online streaming clash at 7pm tonight.
But The Power also admits that it is likely to be one of the last appearances he’ll make as a player as back and hip injuries hinder his movement.
Paddy Power will donate £1,000 to the NHS for every 180 the icons throw during the match and Taylor revealed: “We’re playing best of seven, 501, double out, so a normal game. Paddy Power are sending some equipment up.
“It’s all going to be sanitised, left in my car park, so someone will go and pick it up and bring it in. They’ve told me how to set it up, then I’ll put it back outside in the box and they’ll come and pick it up and take it away. It’s like James Bond stuff this is, it’s ever so strange.
“Paddy Power, bless them, a thousand pounds for every 180 that we hit, to the NHS.
“Seriously, this is more fun, it’s something nice that we can do. I’ve been inundated for shirt requests, I signed a couple of dozen yesterday. Target have been fantastic because they keep supplying them for me for free and we send them off to the charities. Some of them are raising three and four thousand pounds for the NHS, it’s brilliant. Absolutely fantastic.
“This is more for the NHS, I’m not bothered whether I win, lose of draw to be honest with you. But I’d like to win it, but it’s all about raising money.”
This grandad grudge match is also a return to arguably the greatest rivalry the sport has ever seen along with Eric Bristow and Jocky Wilson.
The Power v RVB 2007 world final was without doubt the best match ever seen on TV - and Taylor also felt sorry for the way his Dutch pal’s career ended with a first round defeat at the Worlds in December.
Taylor added: “It was the most talked about. Sky would put up ‘Taylor vs Barneveld’ and they had a clock ticking down for a few weeks.
“It got that busy after that, Barry Hearn put so many tournaments on that it was second nature, I was playing Raymond every other week then, so it lost that little bit of a thrill really. It’s like Man Utd playing Liverpool every other week, it loses something I think.
“I felt gutted for him, I’ll be honest. I think he put himself under too much pressure. He wanted to copy what I did and go out with a bang and it was hard for him. I think he felt too much pressure. He’s never been a good loser, Barney hasn’t, he’s always been a passionate loser, if you know what I mean? He loves to win which everybody does. Going out like that would have killed him, he’ll never forget it, that’s for sure.
“I’ve had loads of good matches with Raymond. The one I remember, one of the best ones, even though I lost it, was the time in Bolton, when he went jumping round the stage like a kangaroo.
“He went out on 97, I’d just missed I think three at double top to win it and he went out on 97. I knew, you just know, it’s ever so strange, you look at the people you’re with thinking ‘he’s going to hit this’ and he went boom-boom, two darts. That was brilliant, pure class under pressure.”
But The Power also admits that will be part of his swansong from playing darts at all. He added: “I’m too old now, I’ve got arthritis in my right hip, I’ve got to have a new hip fitted when all this dies down. I pulled my back, I’ve crushed a disk a disk in my back so I’m not physically fit enough to compete against these youngsters now and put the practice in.
“You’ve got to practice two or three hours a day, I just couldn’t do it now. And the travelling, I do not miss the travelling.
“We’ve finished and we can go on holiday but we don’t want to go, it’s ever so strange, it’s lovely being around home.”
Words by Phil Lanning; Images by Taylor Lanning.
- 18.07.2022Don’t let your tyres ruin your summer
- 14.07.2022Wright stays off the crumpets!
- 19.05.2022Wright admits he felt like a "zombie"
- 21.04.2022Wright to stop "mucking about"
- 31.03.2022Clayton won't be plastered!
- 24.03.2022Van Gerwen is ready for home pressure
- 10.03.2022Wright's clean sweep
- 10.02.2022Red-hot Wright stays tight-lipped
- 03.02.2022Price: I'm my own worst enemy!
- 28.01.2022Clayton: I don't want to be a one-hit wonder
- 19.01.2022Wright gets a grip on another world crown
- 03.11.2020Wright ready for Worlds charge
- 26.08.2020Gurney plans The Great Escape
- 25.08.2020Van Gerwen vows: I'm hungry
- 22.08.2020Smith fired-up on Premier return
- 24.07.2020Anderson says he's "off radar"
- 22.07.2020Wizard casts spell over MVG
- 19.07.2020Van Gerwen: I must do better!
- 13.07.2020Wright "doesn't care" about MVG
- 08.07.2020Netflix and chill for The Iceman…
- 02.07.2020Gurney hungry after heartbreak
- 09.06.2020Porsche is No.1 for posh!
- 09.04.2020Taylor goes "James Bond" for Barney clash
- 14.02.2020IT'S ROB-IN HOOD!
- 01.01.2020Van Gerwen vows Wright "always misses"
- 30.12.2019Wrighty is full of beans
- 27.12.2019Fallon's winner chicken dinner
- 23.12.2019Fallon is 'Queen of the Palace'
- 14.12.2019Barney in emotional Ally Pally farewell
- 13.12.2019MVG says he'll "destroy" rivals
- 24.11.2019MVG loves new Pricey rivalry
- 12.11.2019Cross is up for Wright fight
- 09.11.2019MVG vows there's "more in the tank"
- 27.10.2019Cross: It's a sweet moment!
- 19.10.2019Anderson admits the "nerves" are back!
- 12.10.2019MVG sends out chilling warning
- 08.10.2019Ando admits it's a "horrible game"
- 30.09.2019Gurney: I want to hit Top Gear!
- 28.07.2019CROSS: I WON IT FOR MY BOY!
- 26.07.2019Wright glory all down to lucky flight
- 23.07.2019MVG blasts rivals "didn't have big mouths"
- 21.07.2019BUNTING: I closed my eyes before big win!
- 09.06.2019SCOTS WIN WORLD CUP
- 06.06.2019CROSS OUT TO "STUFF" CRITICS
- 23.05.2019CROSS VOWS TO FIND "MAGIC"
- 23.05.2019MVG: I WILL SMASH THEM!
- 16.05.2019CROSS AIMS TO BE CUT ABOVE
- 10.05.2019Price: They are trying to get me banned
- 02.05.2019MVG vows Gurney "won't beat me"
- 25.04.2019Wade not "frightened" by the big boys
- 18.04.2019Van Gerwen's bizarre socks superstition!
- 11.04.2019SMITH GETS NEEDLE BEFORE MVG
- 03.04.2019CROSS HITS THE BOOS AGAIN
- 29.03.2019LEGEND BARNEY IN QUIT U-TURN
- 22.03.2019WRIGHT BLAST OF THE MOHICAN
- 25.02.2019CROSS WANTS TO DRIVE WITH ALI