MVG: I WILL SMASH THEM!
Dutch star ready to claim Premier League
MIGHTY Michael Van Gerwen finished top of the Unibet Premier League for the seventh year in succession and now vows to “smash them” in the O2 finals.
The dynamic Dutchman pipped Rob Cross to to spot on the final night in Leeds with a win over Mensur Suljovic.
World No.1 Van Gerwen powered past Suljovic 8-5, ending the Austrian's Play-Off hopes in the process, before Cross went down 8-6 to Wade.
Van Gerwen, who has reached the final in all six previous Premier League campaigns, takes on Daryl Gurney in the first semi at the O2 tonight.
He said: "It's a great achievement for myself but I know I can do better than this.
"There's lots of room for improvement because I let myself down in a few games.
"But now I will focus on next week and the most important thing is to win the Play-Offs in London.
"Next week I will be sharp, my preparation will be phenomenal and I will smash them - simple as that."
Van Gerwen, who took out 126 in leg four, raced into a 5-0 lead against Suljovic - who needed to win the match in order to book his place in the Semi-Finals for the first time.
The Austrian clawed back three consecutive legs and reduced the deficit to 6-4, but the green machine claimed two of the next three legs to seal victory.
Van Gerwen now faces a semi-final tie with bogey rival Gurney - who inflicted two of his three defeats during the regular season - after the Northern Irish ace secured his first Play-Offs appearance with an 8-3 win over Michael Smith.
Cross will play James Wade in the other semi.
Voltage admitted: “Of course I would have liked to finish top of the league but I’d prefer to finish top of the pile next Thursday.
“It’s been a long 16 weeks and I’ve been happy with my firm.
“There’s been some blips along the way which I’ve got to iron out. Now it’s all on one night.
“All four players can win it. It’s now about finding that A game when you need to. I’m looking forward to it.”
Words: Phil Lanning
Images: Taylor Lanning
- 19.10.2019Anderson admits the "nerves" are back!
- 12.10.2019MVG sends out chilling warning
- 08.10.2019Ando admits it's a "horrible game"
- 30.09.2019Gurney: I want to hit Top Gear!
- 28.07.2019CROSS: I WON IT FOR MY BOY!
- 26.07.2019Wright glory all down to lucky flight
- 23.07.2019MVG blasts rivals "didn't have big mouths"
- 21.07.2019BUNTING: I closed my eyes before big win!
- 09.06.2019SCOTS WIN WORLD CUP
- 06.06.2019CROSS OUT TO "STUFF" CRITICS
- 23.05.2019CROSS VOWS TO FIND "MAGIC"
- 23.05.2019MVG: I WILL SMASH THEM!
- 16.05.2019CROSS AIMS TO BE CUT ABOVE
- 10.05.2019Price: They are trying to get me banned
- 02.05.2019MVG vows Gurney "won't beat me"
- 25.04.2019Wade not "frightened" by the big boys
- 18.04.2019Van Gerwen's bizarre socks superstition!
- 11.04.2019SMITH GETS NEEDLE BEFORE MVG
- 03.04.2019CROSS HITS THE BOOS AGAIN
- 29.03.2019LEGEND BARNEY IN QUIT U-TURN
- 22.03.2019WRIGHT BLAST OF THE MOHICAN
- 25.02.2019CROSS WANTS TO DRIVE WITH ALI