Van Gerwen's bizarre socks superstition!
Dutchman reveals routine before crucial clash
MIGHTY Michael van Gerwen admits he pulls his socks up during his games but doesn’t know why!
The dynamic Dutchman has made the bizarre confession about the odd superstition during his Unibet Premier League games.
Now MVG actually does have to pull up his socks to overtake Rob Cross at the top of the table when they meet tonight (Thurs) in Cardiff.
He said: “I used to flick my hand with my watch and I used to crack my fingers.
“Pulling my socks up is just something I do – I don’t know why. Sometimes it helps, so I can’t really complain!
“Maybe it gets my focus on the dartboard for a second to re-concentrate and gets yourself going again.
“Maybe it helps, maybe not? I don’t do it on purpose, I just want to do the thing I love – play darts at a high level.”
Sky Sports pundit Wayne Mardle believes it is the biggest blockbuster clash of the tournament so far.
He said: “There’s no doubt about it, Cross is the Premier League man of the moment. He’s won six of his last seven and seven out of his last nine matches and is top of the table on points now, rather than leg difference.
“He’s lost two, but he’s winning and not drawing. Rob Cross for me is looking like the main challenger to Michael van Gerwen.
“There was one that was going to come out of the pack but could he now go on and win the league phase? That would be some doing and he would be the third man in history to do it, with Phil Taylor and Van Gerwen having topped it in previous years. Michael has never not won the league.”
But Mardle admits that he’s worried about the form of Scot Peter Wright who is way below his best right now.
He added: “I don’t like the way Wright is playing. He has not won in his last five – all right, he has drawn three of them. But the other weekend he changed two sets of darts four times during a PDC Tour event. He’s clearly not happy with what he’s doing and what he’s using.”
Night 12 - Thursday April 18, 7pm Sky Sports.
Motorpoint Arena, Cardiff
Mensur Suljovic v Daryl Gurney
Rob Cross v Michael van Gerwen
Michael Smith v Gerwyn Price
Peter Wright v James Wade
Words: Phil Lanning
Images: Taylor Lanning
- 09.04.2020Taylor goes "James Bond" for Barney clash
- 14.02.2020IT'S ROB-IN HOOD!
- 01.01.2020Van Gerwen vows Wright "always misses"
- 30.12.2019Wrighty is full of beans
- 27.12.2019Fallon's winner chicken dinner
- 23.12.2019Fallon is 'Queen of the Palace'
- 14.12.2019Barney in emotional Ally Pally farewell
- 13.12.2019MVG says he'll "destroy" rivals
- 24.11.2019MVG loves new Pricey rivalry
- 12.11.2019Cross is up for Wright fight
- 09.11.2019MVG vows there's "more in the tank"
- 27.10.2019Cross: It's a sweet moment!
- 19.10.2019Anderson admits the "nerves" are back!
- 12.10.2019MVG sends out chilling warning
- 08.10.2019Ando admits it's a "horrible game"
- 30.09.2019Gurney: I want to hit Top Gear!
- 28.07.2019CROSS: I WON IT FOR MY BOY!
- 26.07.2019Wright glory all down to lucky flight
- 23.07.2019MVG blasts rivals "didn't have big mouths"
- 21.07.2019BUNTING: I closed my eyes before big win!
- 09.06.2019SCOTS WIN WORLD CUP
- 06.06.2019CROSS OUT TO "STUFF" CRITICS
- 23.05.2019CROSS VOWS TO FIND "MAGIC"
- 23.05.2019MVG: I WILL SMASH THEM!
- 16.05.2019CROSS AIMS TO BE CUT ABOVE
- 10.05.2019Price: They are trying to get me banned
- 02.05.2019MVG vows Gurney "won't beat me"
- 25.04.2019Wade not "frightened" by the big boys
- 18.04.2019Van Gerwen's bizarre socks superstition!
- 11.04.2019SMITH GETS NEEDLE BEFORE MVG
- 03.04.2019CROSS HITS THE BOOS AGAIN
- 29.03.2019LEGEND BARNEY IN QUIT U-TURN
- 22.03.2019WRIGHT BLAST OF THE MOHICAN
- 25.02.2019CROSS WANTS TO DRIVE WITH ALI