Wright ready for Worlds charge
Snakebite fired-up to retain title
PETER WRIGHT has “recharged his batteries” and vowed to regain the World Championship crown.
The Scottish ace won his first-ever European title in Oberhausen, Germany on Sunday with a devastating final display in beating James Wade 11-4.
Wright has pulled out of Scotland’s World Cup defence later this week to stay fresh for a crucial end of the year - but with his heart set on retaining the world crown for his country.
He said: “I think I can win it again – the world championship bit. If I get to no.1 then I do, it’s not a target, it’s to pick up the Sid Waddell trophy again – that’s the main target.
“There is a long way to go, I could slip over and break my wrist or pick up my wife’s suitcase and put my shoulder out!
“I have got a pair of trousers I am saving for the finals of the worlds and it has purple in it. It could help!
“I think I will start hitting big averages towards the end of the month.
“Michael is young, he thinks he has to play all these tournaments to get ready. I am 50 years old, I know what I need to do, to take time off to press the reset button. Luckily enough it has worked.
“This is good practice. Michael has won this many times and it has been good for him. A bit of luck it’s good for me.
“I feel good with my darts, feel the good way I am standing, I have a few things to stand out, I can only get better.
“Of course I am thinking of the worlds, it’s six weeks roughly, not a lot of time to get ready.
“It’s up to everyone else to get ready. The next three weeks will be darts, darts, darts. People will not be in form every day, it will be up and down, loads of nine-darters and special moments.”
Wright had withdrawn from the two European Tour events ahead of the Euros, but said: “It was good to have a little rest and recharge the batteries, I knew what I needed to do to prepare for this.
“Everyone's different but it worked for me. I believe I can be more consistent and I will be playing a lot better than that. I think I can hit some big averages.
“I feel good with my darts and with the way I'm standing but I think I can get better.”
Wright averaged at least 102 in each of his five games in the European Championship, also defeating Gabriel Clemens, Gerwyn Price, Steve West and Jonny Clayton, and said: “I'm delighted to win, it's great for me and it was good to have the fans here.
“It's the first final I've got to in the event, I've had a couple and managed to win it. I struggled in the semi-final, it was probably my toughest match and I couldn't get going but I got away with it.
“James has won this before and is a quality player, so to get the win I'm really happy. He can reel off legs so you've got to try and keep him at bay, and luckily enough I did.”
Words: Phil Lanning
Photography: Taylor Lanning
- 03.11.2020Wright ready for Worlds charge
- 26.08.2020Gurney plans The Great Escape
- 25.08.2020Van Gerwen vows: I'm hungry
- 22.08.2020Smith fired-up on Premier return
- 24.07.2020Anderson says he's "off radar"
- 22.07.2020Wizard casts spell over MVG
- 19.07.2020Van Gerwen: I must do better!
- 13.07.2020Wright "doesn't care" about MVG
- 08.07.2020Netflix and chill for The Iceman…
- 02.07.2020Gurney hungry after heartbreak
- 09.06.2020Porsche is No.1 for posh!
- 09.04.2020Taylor goes "James Bond" for Barney clash
- 14.02.2020IT'S ROB-IN HOOD!
- 01.01.2020Van Gerwen vows Wright "always misses"
- 30.12.2019Wrighty is full of beans
- 27.12.2019Fallon's winner chicken dinner
- 23.12.2019Fallon is 'Queen of the Palace'
- 14.12.2019Barney in emotional Ally Pally farewell
- 13.12.2019MVG says he'll "destroy" rivals
- 24.11.2019MVG loves new Pricey rivalry
- 12.11.2019Cross is up for Wright fight
- 09.11.2019MVG vows there's "more in the tank"
- 27.10.2019Cross: It's a sweet moment!
- 19.10.2019Anderson admits the "nerves" are back!
- 12.10.2019MVG sends out chilling warning
- 08.10.2019Ando admits it's a "horrible game"
- 30.09.2019Gurney: I want to hit Top Gear!
- 28.07.2019CROSS: I WON IT FOR MY BOY!
- 26.07.2019Wright glory all down to lucky flight
- 23.07.2019MVG blasts rivals "didn't have big mouths"
- 21.07.2019BUNTING: I closed my eyes before big win!
- 09.06.2019SCOTS WIN WORLD CUP
- 06.06.2019CROSS OUT TO "STUFF" CRITICS
- 23.05.2019CROSS VOWS TO FIND "MAGIC"
- 23.05.2019MVG: I WILL SMASH THEM!
- 16.05.2019CROSS AIMS TO BE CUT ABOVE
- 10.05.2019Price: They are trying to get me banned
- 02.05.2019MVG vows Gurney "won't beat me"
- 25.04.2019Wade not "frightened" by the big boys
- 18.04.2019Van Gerwen's bizarre socks superstition!
- 11.04.2019SMITH GETS NEEDLE BEFORE MVG
- 03.04.2019CROSS HITS THE BOOS AGAIN
- 29.03.2019LEGEND BARNEY IN QUIT U-TURN
- 22.03.2019WRIGHT BLAST OF THE MOHICAN
- 25.02.2019CROSS WANTS TO DRIVE WITH ALI