Wrighty is full of beans
Snakebite is the toast of Ally Pally
PETER WRIGHT blasted into the William Hill World Championship semi-finals and thanked BEANS ON TOAST.
The Livingston ace produced another powerhouse in patches display to KO Luke Humphries 5-3 at the Ally Pally yesterday (Sunday).
Snakebite has been suffering from a bug but reckons he was full of beans to win thanks to his pre-match meal.
Wright, who faces Gerwyn Price in tonight's semi-final, admitted: “I’ve only had two hours sleep. The beds in the Holiday Inn are like this desk, rock hard. I’ve done really well on two hours sleep!
“I went away in patches. My focus I went a little bit and that must get better in the next round.
“Luke came back at me and we had good banter on stage. We were acknowledging each other’s good scores and that’s the way it should be, even though you have to be ruthless up there.
“When I’m in this form and mood, no one can beat me. I’ve got the semis and final to go and the longer the format goes I’m going to be favourite.
“I just had beans on toast, that did the job. My practice was really good and I felt alright, that was the main thing.”
In his last two matches Wright has produced flashes of brilliance and consistency which have been the best in the tournament. His average of 105.86 against Humphries was the best so far and included 170 and 164 finishes.
Remarkably no one tipped Snakebite to go all the way before the event and now he’s just two wins from being World Champion.
He added: “Have I come under the radar? It’s not my fault that no one noticed me, although I do stand out quite a bit!
“I’d rather them talk about everyone else like Glen, Gezzy, Michael, Gary. I know the way I’m playing I can sneak all the way through.
“The past couple of years I’ve had excuses. Last year was a bad one because I didn’t take Toni Alcinas as a threat but he kicked me off the stage. I won’t do that again.
“I text Lee from Red Dragon who makes my darts and thanked him for the darts that will win me the World Championship. I’m still here.
“I’ve used 100-odd sets of darts to get me to No.2 in the world. I can go a lot further with these easily.
“I have also text Red Dragon to say they don’t need to send me anything else, I’m just going to play with these.
“I want to break the 180 record in this tournament, the highest average and obviously go and win it. They’re my targets. This is my year.”
Words: Phil Lanning
Images: Taylor Lanning
- 02.07.2020Gurney hungry after heartbreak
- 09.06.2020Porsche is No.1 for posh!
- 09.04.2020Taylor goes "James Bond" for Barney clash
- 14.02.2020IT'S ROB-IN HOOD!
- 01.01.2020Van Gerwen vows Wright "always misses"
- 30.12.2019Wrighty is full of beans
- 27.12.2019Fallon's winner chicken dinner
- 23.12.2019Fallon is 'Queen of the Palace'
- 14.12.2019Barney in emotional Ally Pally farewell
- 13.12.2019MVG says he'll "destroy" rivals
- 24.11.2019MVG loves new Pricey rivalry
- 12.11.2019Cross is up for Wright fight
- 09.11.2019MVG vows there's "more in the tank"
- 27.10.2019Cross: It's a sweet moment!
- 19.10.2019Anderson admits the "nerves" are back!
- 12.10.2019MVG sends out chilling warning
- 08.10.2019Ando admits it's a "horrible game"
- 30.09.2019Gurney: I want to hit Top Gear!
- 28.07.2019CROSS: I WON IT FOR MY BOY!
- 26.07.2019Wright glory all down to lucky flight
- 23.07.2019MVG blasts rivals "didn't have big mouths"
- 21.07.2019BUNTING: I closed my eyes before big win!
- 09.06.2019SCOTS WIN WORLD CUP
- 06.06.2019CROSS OUT TO "STUFF" CRITICS
- 23.05.2019CROSS VOWS TO FIND "MAGIC"
- 23.05.2019MVG: I WILL SMASH THEM!
- 16.05.2019CROSS AIMS TO BE CUT ABOVE
- 10.05.2019Price: They are trying to get me banned
- 02.05.2019MVG vows Gurney "won't beat me"
- 25.04.2019Wade not "frightened" by the big boys
- 18.04.2019Van Gerwen's bizarre socks superstition!
- 11.04.2019SMITH GETS NEEDLE BEFORE MVG
- 03.04.2019CROSS HITS THE BOOS AGAIN
- 29.03.2019LEGEND BARNEY IN QUIT U-TURN
- 22.03.2019WRIGHT BLAST OF THE MOHICAN
- 25.02.2019CROSS WANTS TO DRIVE WITH ALI