MVG vows Gurney "won't beat me"
Dutchman ready to face Superchin battle
MIGHTY Michael van Gerwen has vowed that Daryl Gurney “won’t beat him again” before their crucial showdown in Manchester.
The Northern Irishman needs to win all his remaining Unibet Premier League matches to qualify for the O2 finals night later this month.
Gurney has won the last two televised meetings with Van Gerwen, but the Dutch star added: “He's not going to beat me again.
“If I play like I did in Berlin against him, he can beat me again but if I play like I have been recently, he won't beat me.
“I want to make sure I'm in the Play-Offs but I'm feeling confident about my game at the moment.
“I had a good game with James Wade last week and I did well at the weekend in Germany. It would be great to win in Manchester because I want to keep up this form now going to the Play-Offs.”
Play-Off chasing Gurney claimed a 7-5 victory over Van Gerwen when the pair met in Berlin earlier this season, and could put himself into a Play-Off place by repeating that success.
Gurney said: “Unless you're playing your A+ game you're going to get beaten, so it's an easy game to work out.
“Michael knows I can beat him now and I'm sure he's wary of that, but all he wants to do is smash up every player so it won't make a difference to him.
“I know what I need to do to possibly make the Play-Offs but it's out of my hands with being a point behind the top four, so I've just got to focus on my own games and keep fighting.”
2019 Unibet Premier League
Night 14 - Thursday May 2
The Manchester Arena
Rob Cross v Michael Smith
Peter Wright v Mensur Suljovic
Daryl Gurney v Michael van Gerwen
James Wade v Gerwyn Price
Words: Phil Lanning
Images: Taylor Lanning
- 19.10.2019Anderson admits the "nerves" are back!
- 12.10.2019MVG sends out chilling warning
- 08.10.2019Ando admits it's a "horrible game"
- 30.09.2019Gurney: I want to hit Top Gear!
- 28.07.2019CROSS: I WON IT FOR MY BOY!
- 26.07.2019Wright glory all down to lucky flight
- 23.07.2019MVG blasts rivals "didn't have big mouths"
- 21.07.2019BUNTING: I closed my eyes before big win!
- 09.06.2019SCOTS WIN WORLD CUP
- 06.06.2019CROSS OUT TO "STUFF" CRITICS
- 23.05.2019CROSS VOWS TO FIND "MAGIC"
- 23.05.2019MVG: I WILL SMASH THEM!
- 16.05.2019CROSS AIMS TO BE CUT ABOVE
- 10.05.2019Price: They are trying to get me banned
- 02.05.2019MVG vows Gurney "won't beat me"
- 25.04.2019Wade not "frightened" by the big boys
- 18.04.2019Van Gerwen's bizarre socks superstition!
- 11.04.2019SMITH GETS NEEDLE BEFORE MVG
- 03.04.2019CROSS HITS THE BOOS AGAIN
- 29.03.2019LEGEND BARNEY IN QUIT U-TURN
- 22.03.2019WRIGHT BLAST OF THE MOHICAN
- 25.02.2019CROSS WANTS TO DRIVE WITH ALI