Van Gerwen: I must do better!
Mighty Dutchman must find A game
MIGHTY Michael van Gerwen admits he wants to “do better” after needing to grind out a win over Brendan Dolan.
The dynamic Dutchman needed to dig out a tight 10-7 victory over Dolan in an exciting first night back of the Betfred World Matchplay.
But MVG was defiant after the clash that he will find his A game before facing Simon Whitlock in the next round on Tuesday.
He said: “I can’t really complain. I shouldn’t have put myself in this position. I put too much pressure on myself. I should have relaxed more in my game. I want to do better than that.
“I can only blame myself. Brendan is a good player. His time of game wasn’t playing on my mind. His game is like that. You know you have to deal with it.
“If you don’t deal with it well then you can have a problem. I shouldn’t have put myself in that position but I’m not a robot, I’m a human being.”
Van Gerwen was clearly affected by the different setting at the Marshall Arena in Milton Keynes but feels he will be ready next time out.
He added: “It was a bit strange, a bit weird but I can’t complain because the setting looks phenomenal and professional. That did a great job to even get this tournament on.
“I’ve got a very good record against Simon. I know if I put the pressure on him he will fail. You only thing now is it’s up to me to do it. Keep the pressure on his shoulders and keep him missing. I have to do that, it won’t be easy but I’ll look forward to it.”
MVG has previously admitted that not being tested harder on the way to the World Championship final cost him dearly.
But this was definitely a tricky early encounter with Dolan. He added: “Maybe it’s a good thing, this will give me more energy and better for me for the tournament. It makes me angry and if you make a mistake you won’t do it again.
“Simon is a totally different player to play against, I know exactly how to play him. Is he going to play as well as Brendan, I don’t know yet.
“But I know for sure I’m not going to play worse than this. I need to make sure I’m capable of doing that. I’ll get some rest and make sure I’m playing my A game on Tuesday again.”
It was a fascinating night all round as darts returned to the TV in Milton Keynes. Other results were; Simon Whitlock 10-4 Ryan Joyce, Krzysztof Ratajski 10-4 Jermaine Wattimena, James Wade 12-10 Keegan Brown and Gary Anderson 10-5 Justin Pipe.
Tonight's action starts at 6pm on Sky Sports:
Mensur Suljovic v Jamie Hughes
Glen Durrant v Jeffrey de Zwaan
Rob Cross v Gabriel Clemens
Peter Wright v Jose De Sousa
Michael Smith v Jonny Clayton
Words: Phil Lanning
Images: Taylor Lanning
- 03.11.2020Wright ready for Worlds charge
- 26.08.2020Gurney plans The Great Escape
- 25.08.2020Van Gerwen vows: I'm hungry
- 22.08.2020Smith fired-up on Premier return
- 24.07.2020Anderson says he's "off radar"
- 22.07.2020Wizard casts spell over MVG
- 19.07.2020Van Gerwen: I must do better!
- 13.07.2020Wright "doesn't care" about MVG
- 08.07.2020Netflix and chill for The Iceman…
- 02.07.2020Gurney hungry after heartbreak
- 09.06.2020Porsche is No.1 for posh!
- 09.04.2020Taylor goes "James Bond" for Barney clash
- 14.02.2020IT'S ROB-IN HOOD!
- 01.01.2020Van Gerwen vows Wright "always misses"
- 30.12.2019Wrighty is full of beans
- 27.12.2019Fallon's winner chicken dinner
- 23.12.2019Fallon is 'Queen of the Palace'
- 14.12.2019Barney in emotional Ally Pally farewell
- 13.12.2019MVG says he'll "destroy" rivals
- 24.11.2019MVG loves new Pricey rivalry
- 12.11.2019Cross is up for Wright fight
- 09.11.2019MVG vows there's "more in the tank"
- 27.10.2019Cross: It's a sweet moment!
- 19.10.2019Anderson admits the "nerves" are back!
- 12.10.2019MVG sends out chilling warning
- 08.10.2019Ando admits it's a "horrible game"
- 30.09.2019Gurney: I want to hit Top Gear!
- 28.07.2019CROSS: I WON IT FOR MY BOY!
- 26.07.2019Wright glory all down to lucky flight
- 23.07.2019MVG blasts rivals "didn't have big mouths"
- 21.07.2019BUNTING: I closed my eyes before big win!
- 09.06.2019SCOTS WIN WORLD CUP
- 06.06.2019CROSS OUT TO "STUFF" CRITICS
- 23.05.2019CROSS VOWS TO FIND "MAGIC"
- 23.05.2019MVG: I WILL SMASH THEM!
- 16.05.2019CROSS AIMS TO BE CUT ABOVE
- 10.05.2019Price: They are trying to get me banned
- 02.05.2019MVG vows Gurney "won't beat me"
- 25.04.2019Wade not "frightened" by the big boys
- 18.04.2019Van Gerwen's bizarre socks superstition!
- 11.04.2019SMITH GETS NEEDLE BEFORE MVG
- 03.04.2019CROSS HITS THE BOOS AGAIN
- 29.03.2019LEGEND BARNEY IN QUIT U-TURN
- 22.03.2019WRIGHT BLAST OF THE MOHICAN
- 25.02.2019CROSS WANTS TO DRIVE WITH ALI