Gurney: I want to hit Top Gear!
World No.3 revved up for more Grand Prix glory
DARYL GURNEY is in the oche fast lane but still wishes he was Jeremy Clarkson on Top Gear.
The Northern Irishman is revved-up to add to his World Grand Prix and Players Championship majors over the coming months.
Superchin’s next big major bid is to regain his Grand Prix title he won so emphatically in Dublin two years ago.
But he’s preparing by swapping his darts for cars. He revealed: “If I wasn’t playing darts, I’d probably want to be Jeremy Clarkson on Top Gear on The Grand Tour.
“But I also really enjoy tinkering with my cars. I have 16 cars in a wee shed, well maybe it’s not so wee!
“I mess about when I can with Mk 1 and Mk 2 Minis and Cavaliers and cars like that. I’m very much a petrolhead. I’m a plumber by trade but if it wasn’t for darts, I’d want to be Clarkson!
“When we do get a break, which isn’t often, it’s great to lock myself away and work on the cars. I’ve had some new rubber from Toyo Tires since they have become partners of the PDC.
“So I can’t wait to get them on one of my cars. I think they are the best value for money for much more performance and grip which makes handling a dream. That’s pretty awesome.”
Gurney also believes he is ready to hit form as it gets into winter and the business end of the oche campaign.
He said: “I’m playing well and giving myself good opportunities. I made it to a World Series final so that shows I am still competing at the highest level.
“There are a lot of big events coming up in the rest of the year and I hope to be lifting at least one of the big ones.
“It’s been an up and down year for me so far. But I do feel I’m in good form. I reached the finals night of the Premier League and that was an improvement. I just know I have a decent run in me.
“I’m still gutted I blew such a big lead in the semi-final of the Matchplay against Rob Cross. I won’t make that mistake next time. But it proves that I can deliver good form.”
*The double-start tournament will return to the Citywest Convention Centre from October 6-12, with tickets still available through ticketmaster.ie.
Words: Phil Lanning
Images: Taylor Lanning
- 03.11.2020Wright ready for Worlds charge
- 26.08.2020Gurney plans The Great Escape
- 25.08.2020Van Gerwen vows: I'm hungry
- 22.08.2020Smith fired-up on Premier return
- 24.07.2020Anderson says he's "off radar"
- 22.07.2020Wizard casts spell over MVG
- 19.07.2020Van Gerwen: I must do better!
- 13.07.2020Wright "doesn't care" about MVG
- 08.07.2020Netflix and chill for The Iceman…
- 02.07.2020Gurney hungry after heartbreak
- 09.06.2020Porsche is No.1 for posh!
- 09.04.2020Taylor goes "James Bond" for Barney clash
- 14.02.2020IT'S ROB-IN HOOD!
- 01.01.2020Van Gerwen vows Wright "always misses"
- 30.12.2019Wrighty is full of beans
- 27.12.2019Fallon's winner chicken dinner
- 23.12.2019Fallon is 'Queen of the Palace'
- 14.12.2019Barney in emotional Ally Pally farewell
- 13.12.2019MVG says he'll "destroy" rivals
- 24.11.2019MVG loves new Pricey rivalry
- 12.11.2019Cross is up for Wright fight
- 09.11.2019MVG vows there's "more in the tank"
- 27.10.2019Cross: It's a sweet moment!
- 19.10.2019Anderson admits the "nerves" are back!
- 12.10.2019MVG sends out chilling warning
- 08.10.2019Ando admits it's a "horrible game"
- 30.09.2019Gurney: I want to hit Top Gear!
- 28.07.2019CROSS: I WON IT FOR MY BOY!
- 26.07.2019Wright glory all down to lucky flight
- 23.07.2019MVG blasts rivals "didn't have big mouths"
- 21.07.2019BUNTING: I closed my eyes before big win!
- 09.06.2019SCOTS WIN WORLD CUP
- 06.06.2019CROSS OUT TO "STUFF" CRITICS
- 23.05.2019CROSS VOWS TO FIND "MAGIC"
- 23.05.2019MVG: I WILL SMASH THEM!
- 16.05.2019CROSS AIMS TO BE CUT ABOVE
- 10.05.2019Price: They are trying to get me banned
- 02.05.2019MVG vows Gurney "won't beat me"
- 25.04.2019Wade not "frightened" by the big boys
- 18.04.2019Van Gerwen's bizarre socks superstition!
- 11.04.2019SMITH GETS NEEDLE BEFORE MVG
- 03.04.2019CROSS HITS THE BOOS AGAIN
- 29.03.2019LEGEND BARNEY IN QUIT U-TURN
- 22.03.2019WRIGHT BLAST OF THE MOHICAN
- 25.02.2019CROSS WANTS TO DRIVE WITH ALI