Smith fired-up on Premier return
Bully Boy still fuming over Matchplay misery
MICHAEL SMITH is fired-up for Unibet Premier League glory because’s he’s still “fuming” over his World Matchplay misery.
The World No.4 faces Gary Anderson on his return to Milton Keynes on Tuesday, just a month after his mentor KO’d him in the Matchplay semis.
St.Helens star Smith was defeated by Anderson - his former mentor - in the World Matchplay semi-finals last month, when he came from 8-3 down at one stage to lead 15-14, only to eventually lose out 18-16 in a tie-break.
Bully Boy currently sits in third place in the Premier League table following the six rounds played earlier in 2020, having won three games and drawn another.
Smith blasted: “Even now I'm fuming about it - I felt like I didn't really turn up but I still could have won it.
“Then I had to watch the final. He didn't play like that against me - it took him 24 legs to hit his first 180 and that's what annoyed me.
“It's one of those new learning curves, hopefully I can put it right for the Premier League. When I first started I was annoyed that I could never make a quarter-final.
“Now if I do make the quarters or the semis, I'm annoyed because where I'm at now in my mind, I should be making the finals and and I should winning these tournaments now.
“It's been too long and hopefully I'll get one soon.”
The former Shanghai Darts Masters champion has been practising with Ian White during the summer break, and believes that his hard work on the finishing aspect of his game can pay dividends in the Premier League race.
He admits: “I'm feeling good, my game's there and my scoring is. I’ve been practising my doubles with Whitey, and it feels like my doubles have been better than ever.
“Hopefully I can do it again on the big stage, put it all together into six straight matches.
“I didn't get off to the best start when I played Glen (Durrant). I went into that match thinking it was his first time, it's going to be a walkover, he'll get nervous - and I tried too hard.
"The game against Jonny I played well. I threw it away against Gez, nearly threw it away against Michael. Hopefully going back next week I can keep winning, keep in that top four and hopefully get to The O2 - if we are at The O2!”
Night Seven, Tuesday August 25
Marshall Arena, Milton Keynes
Sky Sports (7pm)
Michael Smith v Gary Anderson
Michael van Gerwen v Rob Cross
Nathan Aspinall v Gerwyn Price
Chris Dobey (C) v Daryl Gurney
Peter Wright v Glen Durrant
Words: Phil Lanning
Images: Taylor Lanning
- 03.11.2020Wright ready for Worlds charge
- 26.08.2020Gurney plans The Great Escape
- 25.08.2020Van Gerwen vows: I'm hungry
- 22.08.2020Smith fired-up on Premier return
- 24.07.2020Anderson says he's "off radar"
- 22.07.2020Wizard casts spell over MVG
- 19.07.2020Van Gerwen: I must do better!
- 13.07.2020Wright "doesn't care" about MVG
- 08.07.2020Netflix and chill for The Iceman…
- 02.07.2020Gurney hungry after heartbreak
- 09.06.2020Porsche is No.1 for posh!
- 09.04.2020Taylor goes "James Bond" for Barney clash
- 14.02.2020IT'S ROB-IN HOOD!
- 01.01.2020Van Gerwen vows Wright "always misses"
- 30.12.2019Wrighty is full of beans
- 27.12.2019Fallon's winner chicken dinner
- 23.12.2019Fallon is 'Queen of the Palace'
- 14.12.2019Barney in emotional Ally Pally farewell
- 13.12.2019MVG says he'll "destroy" rivals
- 24.11.2019MVG loves new Pricey rivalry
- 12.11.2019Cross is up for Wright fight
- 09.11.2019MVG vows there's "more in the tank"
- 27.10.2019Cross: It's a sweet moment!
- 19.10.2019Anderson admits the "nerves" are back!
- 12.10.2019MVG sends out chilling warning
- 08.10.2019Ando admits it's a "horrible game"
- 30.09.2019Gurney: I want to hit Top Gear!
- 28.07.2019CROSS: I WON IT FOR MY BOY!
- 26.07.2019Wright glory all down to lucky flight
- 23.07.2019MVG blasts rivals "didn't have big mouths"
- 21.07.2019BUNTING: I closed my eyes before big win!
- 09.06.2019SCOTS WIN WORLD CUP
- 06.06.2019CROSS OUT TO "STUFF" CRITICS
- 23.05.2019CROSS VOWS TO FIND "MAGIC"
- 23.05.2019MVG: I WILL SMASH THEM!
- 16.05.2019CROSS AIMS TO BE CUT ABOVE
- 10.05.2019Price: They are trying to get me banned
- 02.05.2019MVG vows Gurney "won't beat me"
- 25.04.2019Wade not "frightened" by the big boys
- 18.04.2019Van Gerwen's bizarre socks superstition!
- 11.04.2019SMITH GETS NEEDLE BEFORE MVG
- 03.04.2019CROSS HITS THE BOOS AGAIN
- 29.03.2019LEGEND BARNEY IN QUIT U-TURN
- 22.03.2019WRIGHT BLAST OF THE MOHICAN
- 25.02.2019CROSS WANTS TO DRIVE WITH ALI