Ando admits it's a "horrible game"
Scot finds double starts tricky to tackle
GARY ANDERSON admits that double starts is a “horrible game” before facing his protege Chris Dobey.
The Flying Scotsman takes on Geordie stablemate Dobey in the BoyleSports World Grand Prix in Dublin tonight.
Ando cruised past Keegan Brown on Sunday night in the opening round but revealed he is not a fan of this unique tournament.
He said: “I don’t feel too bad. I’m kind of struggling to get back into it. I’ve got new 21 gram darts and they are going well.
“To be honest double starts is a horrible game. It’s bad enough trying to finish a game on doubles but to start it’s tougher. But we got there.
“There were a few times on tops I missed and Keegan kicked off but he never followed it up so I got there.
“The first round is just six legs. You can actually play six legs and you’re through or you're out, it’s that bad.
“I think I’ve done OK on the Pro Tours. I think I had a 105 average and still got skelped, that’s no nice!
“My game’s not 100 per cent but it’s getting there. I’ve got these lighter darts, been using them for two weeks and they are going well. I’m just happy to get past the first round.”
Anderson takes on Dobey who he narrowly beat in the World Championships last December, both players are in the Dunvegan Darts team managed by Tommy Gilmour in Glasgow.
But Ando also revealed he is toiling to get his mind right back into the game after such a long time out with a back injury at the start of 2019.
He added: “Chris will be up for it. He’s one of the young guns. Like I say, it’s a double start if I kicks in first he’s in trouble, likewise is he kicks in first I’m in trouble. That’s the way this game goes.
“I’m struggling to get interest and hunger back but when I get up there I want to play. It’s a weird kind of situation to be in.”
Michael van Gerwen was bullish despite a big scare against Jamie Hughes and now faces his bogey player Jeffrey de Zwaan, who knocked him out of the UK Open and Matchplay last year.
Four-times Grand Prix winner MVG admitted: “I feel really good. I didn't really perform but I did some phenomenal things in patches and that made me win this game - the 135 hurt him so much.
“Jamie played well, especially for his first time in this event. I was struggling at times and I can do a lot better than this, but it's a short format so it's difficult. I will win back-to-back this year - simple.”
Tuesday October 8 (7pm start, Sky Sports)
James Wade v Mervyn King
Michael Smith v Ian White
Michael van Gerwen v Jeffrey de Zwaan
Gary Anderson v Chris Dobey
Words: Phil Lanning
Pictures: Taylor Lanning
- 14.02.2020IT'S ROB-IN HOOD!
- 01.01.2020Van Gerwen vows Wright "always misses"
- 30.12.2019Wrighty is full of beans
- 27.12.2019Fallon's winner chicken dinner
- 23.12.2019Fallon is 'Queen of the Palace'
- 14.12.2019Barney in emotional Ally Pally farewell
- 13.12.2019MVG says he'll "destroy" rivals
- 24.11.2019MVG loves new Pricey rivalry
- 12.11.2019Cross is up for Wright fight
- 09.11.2019MVG vows there's "more in the tank"
- 27.10.2019Cross: It's a sweet moment!
- 19.10.2019Anderson admits the "nerves" are back!
- 12.10.2019MVG sends out chilling warning
- 08.10.2019Ando admits it's a "horrible game"
- 30.09.2019Gurney: I want to hit Top Gear!
- 28.07.2019CROSS: I WON IT FOR MY BOY!
- 26.07.2019Wright glory all down to lucky flight
- 23.07.2019MVG blasts rivals "didn't have big mouths"
- 21.07.2019BUNTING: I closed my eyes before big win!
- 09.06.2019SCOTS WIN WORLD CUP
- 06.06.2019CROSS OUT TO "STUFF" CRITICS
- 23.05.2019CROSS VOWS TO FIND "MAGIC"
- 23.05.2019MVG: I WILL SMASH THEM!
- 16.05.2019CROSS AIMS TO BE CUT ABOVE
- 10.05.2019Price: They are trying to get me banned
- 02.05.2019MVG vows Gurney "won't beat me"
- 25.04.2019Wade not "frightened" by the big boys
- 18.04.2019Van Gerwen's bizarre socks superstition!
- 11.04.2019SMITH GETS NEEDLE BEFORE MVG
- 03.04.2019CROSS HITS THE BOOS AGAIN
- 29.03.2019LEGEND BARNEY IN QUIT U-TURN
- 22.03.2019WRIGHT BLAST OF THE MOHICAN
- 25.02.2019CROSS WANTS TO DRIVE WITH ALI