MVG says he'll "destroy" rivals
Defending champ ready for Worlds battle
MIGHTY Michael van Gerwen insists he will DESTROY whoever is in his path of the William Hill World Championship.
The dominant Dutchman has already lifted seven TV titles in 2019 and is adamant he feels no pressure ahead of the Ally Pally which starts tonight.
MVG has never defended a world title and kicks off his bid to do just that against either Jelle Klaasen or Kevin Burness.
He said: “People love to make up a story somehow so it doesn't bother me that I've never defended it.
“They said it too about the World Grand Prix and I defended that this year, so I won't be getting involved in anything like this.
“I prepared quite well for this tournament by winning the Players Championship Finals, my opponents threw everything at me but it wasn't enough.
“I have a big target on my back and when you're doing well all the time a lot of people don't want you to win.
“I showed some weakness in the summer but then to bounce back feels even better, I love proving people wrong when they doubt me.
“If I'm at my very best the other players cannot beat me, but you have to show it on the stage and you can't make mistakes.
“Whoever is on my path I want to destroy, simple.”
Van Gerwen also revealed that he is eyeing Phil Taylor’s record of televised titles, having recently lifted his 50th individual televised title in the PDC
The Dutchman reached his half-century at the Players Championship Finals in November just seven years on from his first, and has his sights set on Taylor's haul of 94 TV trophies.
He added: “You always have to set yourself targets and one of mine is to beat Phil's record of TV titles.
“You have to be realistic and say probably no one is ever going to be a 16-time World Champion again, but to win 100 TV titles I think is definitely possible.
“To beat any record set by Phil Taylor would mean a lot to me because of how good he was for the sport both in darts and the mental aspect of the game.
“Unfortunately he beat me in our only world final and one of my big regrets is not being able to put that right.
“But you have to move on, I'm still doing okay so it's nothing to worry about.”
Words: Phil Lanning
Images: Taylor Lanning
- 03.11.2020Wright ready for Worlds charge
- 26.08.2020Gurney plans The Great Escape
- 25.08.2020Van Gerwen vows: I'm hungry
- 22.08.2020Smith fired-up on Premier return
- 24.07.2020Anderson says he's "off radar"
- 22.07.2020Wizard casts spell over MVG
- 19.07.2020Van Gerwen: I must do better!
- 13.07.2020Wright "doesn't care" about MVG
- 08.07.2020Netflix and chill for The Iceman…
- 02.07.2020Gurney hungry after heartbreak
- 09.06.2020Porsche is No.1 for posh!
- 09.04.2020Taylor goes "James Bond" for Barney clash
- 14.02.2020IT'S ROB-IN HOOD!
- 01.01.2020Van Gerwen vows Wright "always misses"
- 30.12.2019Wrighty is full of beans
- 27.12.2019Fallon's winner chicken dinner
- 23.12.2019Fallon is 'Queen of the Palace'
- 14.12.2019Barney in emotional Ally Pally farewell
- 13.12.2019MVG says he'll "destroy" rivals
- 24.11.2019MVG loves new Pricey rivalry
- 12.11.2019Cross is up for Wright fight
- 09.11.2019MVG vows there's "more in the tank"
- 27.10.2019Cross: It's a sweet moment!
- 19.10.2019Anderson admits the "nerves" are back!
- 12.10.2019MVG sends out chilling warning
- 08.10.2019Ando admits it's a "horrible game"
- 30.09.2019Gurney: I want to hit Top Gear!
- 28.07.2019CROSS: I WON IT FOR MY BOY!
- 26.07.2019Wright glory all down to lucky flight
- 23.07.2019MVG blasts rivals "didn't have big mouths"
- 21.07.2019BUNTING: I closed my eyes before big win!
- 09.06.2019SCOTS WIN WORLD CUP
- 06.06.2019CROSS OUT TO "STUFF" CRITICS
- 23.05.2019CROSS VOWS TO FIND "MAGIC"
- 23.05.2019MVG: I WILL SMASH THEM!
- 16.05.2019CROSS AIMS TO BE CUT ABOVE
- 10.05.2019Price: They are trying to get me banned
- 02.05.2019MVG vows Gurney "won't beat me"
- 25.04.2019Wade not "frightened" by the big boys
- 18.04.2019Van Gerwen's bizarre socks superstition!
- 11.04.2019SMITH GETS NEEDLE BEFORE MVG
- 03.04.2019CROSS HITS THE BOOS AGAIN
- 29.03.2019LEGEND BARNEY IN QUIT U-TURN
- 22.03.2019WRIGHT BLAST OF THE MOHICAN
- 25.02.2019CROSS WANTS TO DRIVE WITH ALI